Pinnacle chainsaw vandal angers Council
Council is appealing for public help to identify vandals who have illegally cut down six trees at the Pinnacle Reserve near Mount Canobolas.
Council staff first noticed a tree had been removed about six weeks ago. Three further stumps were discovered on Monday, believed to have been felled over the weekend. Then on Tuesday, staff discovered two more trees had been cut down.
All six trees have been felled by someone using a chain-saw in the picnic area.
“This is a community recreation area that’s open to be enjoyed by anyone visiting the mountain,” said Orange Deputy Mayor Cr Joanne McRae.
“The trees that grow here are all part of what makes Mt. Canobolas such a special place to visit. It’s hard to imagine why anyone would do this. Why someone with a chainsaw would want to bring down a tree in a picnic area like this is beyond me.”
It appears the trees were removed on the weekend and Cr McRae is hoping someone driving past has noticed something that will let council staff identify the vandals.
“People know you can’t go onto privately-owned land to collect firewood. Surely they know you can’t go into a reserve that’s enjoyed by the whole community and do the same thing,” she said.
“It’s illegal to cut down trees without permission, apart from the risk to anyone nearby and the long-term damage to a public park.
“It will take years for trees of this size to grow back and provide the shade they once did in this picnic area, so the next family that comes here for a picnic will miss out.”
Photo: Orange Deputy Mayor Cr Joanne McRae talks with council weeds officer Andrew Cole who first discovered the damage to trees in the Pinnacle Reserve.
Come on folks! If you can help Council find the culprits, please do so. This is a pretty low act and obviously done by a person or persons who have no sense of decency. Give Council a call on 6393 8000 if you can help.