Food week feast a bid to fund farmers doing it tough
When Phillip and Michelle Stivens held their first Feast for Farmers drought fundraiser three years ago, they never imagined that the need would be just as great today as it was back then.
“It was so bad three years ago and never did we think it would be or could be even worse three years down the track,” said Michelle.
Another long, dry summer has passed for the region’s farmers and the Stivens are seeing the effects themselves on their own property. For the first time since they purchased Heifer Station a decade ago, their dam has gone dry and they have had to buy in water.
With so many local farming families and businesses continuing to be impacted by drought, Michelle said now more than ever, is the time to show our support.
At the Feast for Farmers charity lunch and auction on April 6, Michelle is hoping they will be able to do their bit by raising $30,000.
“We have raised $43,000 over the last two events and we want to make $30,000 with this event,” said Michelle.
“Local businesses have been so generous, lots of gift vouchers and all that — and I know they are already doing it tough as well because of the flow-on effects of the drought, people aren't spending money like they used to. People have been so generous with auction items and we want to do them justice. We want to make sure that we get the premium dollar for these items.”
This year, Feast for Farmers is being held in partnership with the Rotary Club of Orange Daybreak, who will make sure the money gets to locals in need.
“The money is all going into local communities. The Rotary Club of Orange Daybreak, they take the money directly into local communities that are affected by drought. They’ll buy vouchers at local businesses for fuel and things like that, food vouchers and rates, but all within the local communities because of the flow-on effect of the drought on those businesses,” said Michelle.
There are 13 premium prize packages to be auctioned live on the day and more than 20 raffle prizes. Even if you can’t make the Feast for Farmers auction in person, Michelle said you can have a bid on any items you like by contacting McCarron Cullinane.
“It’s about how can we get the most money for the farmers,” said Michelle. “People have been so generous, and I owe it to the supporters to do the best I can do to raise as much money as I can. We still have tickets available to Feast for Farmers and we are selling raffle tickets in the cellar door up until the event and up on the day as well.”
More information about the even and links to tickets can be found at feastforfarmers2019.eventbrite.com.au
Auction items (bids can be placed prior to the event by contacting McCarron Cullinane):
1. $2000 Radio Advertising Package with 105.1 Triple MMM or HIT 105.9. Includes commercial radio placement, live reads and sponsorship support. Donated by Southern Cross Austereo.
2. Nashdale Stay-Cation. Enjoy 1 nights’ accommodation (mid-week, Mon – Thurs) in Nashdale Lane’s luxury glamping cabins. Includes complimentary wine tasting for 2 people.
3. New Holland Children’s Ride-On Pedal Tractor with front end loader. Donated by On-Trac Ag, Orange.
4. Royal Flush - One case of each wine variety from Heifer Station. Cases include: 6 pack of Genisse (sparkling), Case of 12 Chardonnay V18, Case of 12 Bull Paddock Chardonnay V17, Case of 12 Pinot Gris, Case of 12 Rose, Case of 12 Pinot Noir, Case of 12 Merlot, and Case of 12 Shiraz.
Donated by Heifer Station Wines
5. Two tickets to Forage 2020. Stroll through some of Orange's most picturesque vineyards while you enjoy a 9-course degustation menu of local wine and tasting plates. Donated by F.O.O.D Week Orange
6. A Foodie’s Delight. A culinary trip with 20-30 friends at an exclusive night at Heifer Station Cellar Door as you wine and dine your way through Europe. Hatted chef Michael Manners and local dessert queen, Lily Hahn-Stevens will tantalize your taste buds with divine European Regional dishes matched with beautiful Heifer Station wines. (Event date TBA). Donated by Michael Manners, Lily Hahn-Stevens and Heifer Station Wines
7. Fly, Dine and Cruise. Enjoy a scenic helicopter flight over Orange for you and two friends. OR, embrace your aviation skills with a 40-minute instructional helicopter flight for one person. Land in style at Borrodell Winery and enjoy lunch and wine for three people with limousine transport back to into town. Donated by Central West Helicopter School and Borrodell Vineyard.
8. Sydney Getaway. Fly to and stay in the heart of Sydney at The Grace Hotel with breakfast included for 2 nights and $250 spending money. 2 x Return flights from Orange to Sydney and accommodation for 2 people for 2 nights. Donated by REX, The Grace Hotel & Peter Roan Financial.
9. Luxury Holiday Home Stay. Enjoy the serenity of Cottage Point (located in the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park) as you and 5 friends relax and take in the spectacular views from Cowan Waters. Accommodation for 2 nights for 6 people in this stunning home with amazing views which have to be seen to be believed. *Subject to booking availability: May to September www.cowanwaters.com.au Donated by Malcom and Barbara White.
10. STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Maths) School Kit. Say hello to the simplest and coolest robot kit for kids. Donated by Telstra.
11. Landscape Framed Photograph by Brenton Jones (Value $900) Description: This is one of those spontaneous images taken whilst driving to work one day. Just happened to spot bursts of rain falling on the distance hills and had to take the shot. Donated by pmw Partners
12. Business Team Alignment. Work with master business Coach Mark Blume and your team for a professional business coaching session for 10 people. Develop your business management and team skills to arm your team with the knowhow. Donated by Mark Blume, In Business in Central West
13. Cupitt’s Choice. Enjoy a 2-night, mid-week stay for 4 people at Cupitt's Cottage in Ulladulla with Breakfast hamper, Cupitt Fromagerie Cheese Selection and bottle of Cupitt Brut Cuvee (up to 4 guests). Additional inclusions are a Tour and Taste Experience for up to 4 people and lunch at Cuputts Kitchen. Donated by Cupitt’s Winery.
1. Mayfield Gardens Annual Family Pass (Value $240) 2 Adults + 3 school age children. Valid for 12months Donated by Mayfield Gardens.
2. Question Time (Value $300) Lunch for two with Member for Orange, Mr. Philip Donato MP, at Parliament House Sydney, followed by attendance during the Question Time seating. Donated by MP, Member of Orange, Phil Donato.
3. $500 Gift Voucher to Dejorja Boutique & Homewares. Donated by Dejorja Boutique & Homewares, Bathurst.
4. $100 Gift Voucher to Jumbled. Donated by Jumbled, Orange.
5. Macquarie Medi Spa Hamper Value $250. Donated by Macquarie Medi Spa.
6. $100 Gift Voucher to Iglou. Donated by Iglou, Orange.
7. Mums & Bubs Exercise Gift Voucher to Tough Love Personal Training. Donated by Tough Love Personal Training.
8. Makeup and 30 Minute Photography Session Voucher (Includes 3 fully edited digital images)
Donated by Styled by Jackie Brown & Cec Tilburg Photography.
9. Social Media Video Package. Value $500 Donated by The Studio Door.
10. 2 x one-hour Massage Vouchers Value $140 Donated by Alasdair Percy Massage Therapy.
11. Sony 120W Bluetooth Sound Bar Value $245 Donated by Harvey Norman Orange.
12. $200 Byng Street Coffee Vouchers. Donated by Byng Street Café.
13. 2 Cases of Peroni and BBQ Meat Pack. Value $160.00 Donated by The Royal Hotel and Woodward Street Butchery.
14. $250 Gift Voucher to The White Place. Donated by The White Place, Orange.
15. Outdoor Fire Pit Value $150 Donated by Bunnings, Orange.
16. Simple Wills plus Power of Attorney and Enduring Guardianship Kit. Value $2,000. Donated by BSN Law.
17. Utopia Pedicure Gift Voucher Value $55. Donated by Utopia Skin & Hair Day Spa.
18. $100 Gift Voucher to Hawkes General Store. Donated by Hawkes General Store.
And many more…
1. Mayfield Gardens Annual Family Pass (Value $240) 2 Adults + 3 school age children. Valid for 12months Donated by Mayfield Gardens
2. Question Time (Value $300) Lunch for two with Member for Orange, Mr. Philip Donato MP, at Parliament House Sydney, followed by attendance during the Question Time seating.
Donated by MP, Member of Orange, Phil Donato
3. $500 Gift Voucher to Dejorja Boutique & Homewares
Value $500 Donated by Dejorja Boutique & Homewares, Bathurst
4. $100 Gift Voucher to Jumbled
Value $100 Donated by Jumbled, Orange
5. Macquarie Medi Spa Hamper Value $250
Donated by Macquarie Medi Spa
6. $100 Gift Voucher to Iglou
Value $100 Donated by Iglou, Orange
7. Mums & Bubs Exercise Gift Voucher to Tough Love Personal Training
Value $105 Donated by Tough Love Personal Training
8. Makeup and 30 Minute Photography Session Voucher (Includes 3 fully edited digital images)
Value $200 Donated by Styled by Jackie Brown & Cec Tilburg Photography
9. Social Media Video Package
Value $500 Donated by The Studio Door
10. 2 x 1 hour Massage Vouchers Value $140 Donated by Alasdair Percy Massage Therapy
11. Sony 120W Bluetooth Sound Bar Value $245 Donated by Harvey Norman Orange
12. $200 Byng Street Coffee Vouchers
Value $200 Donated by Byng Street Café
13. 2 Cases of Peroni and BBQ Meat Pack
Donated by The Royal Hotel & Woodward Street Butchery
14. $250 Gift Voucher to The White Place
Value $250 Donated by The White Place, Orange
15. Outdoor Fire Pit
Donated by Bunnings, Orange
16. Simple Wills plus Power of Attorney & Enduring Guardianship Kit
Donated by BSN Law
17. Utopia Pedicure Gift Voucher Value $55 Donated by Utopia Skin & Hair Day Spa
18. $100 Gift Voucher to Hawkes General Store Value$100 Donated by Hawkes General Store